Short about alpha1
(alpha1 = alpha1 antitrypsin deficit)
- alpha-1 antitrypsin deficit is a genetic disorder. If your parents are alphas, you should consider to be tested. Testing is very easy
- most important: you can live a normal life with alpha1. Many people never get sick.
- alpha1 is a liver condition that may cause severe lung damages
- you should take precautions by doing the right choises in your life. Chose jobs that don't have an negative impact on your lungs. Stay away from professions exposed to solvents, dust and polluted air - and: do NOT smoke
- alpha1 is highly underdiagnosed and often "hidden" behind other conditions like asthma and COPD